“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” Luke 9v23
Jesus says this in the following context:
– He prays with his disciples in private (v18) – a good basis for discussion
– He asks who the crowds say he is (v18) – a very valuable evangelistic question
– He asks who the disciples say he is (v20)– recognition of who Jesus is forms the basis of discipleship.
– Jesus then tells them he is going to suffer and die and be raised to life.
Jesus then specifies three things in the above command:
– To “deny myself” – that means to lay aside the things that by nature I would want.
– To “take up my cross” – that means to follow a route of submission even if it may lead to suffering and death.
– To “follow me” – if we have done above, then we are in a position to truly follow Jesus in every area of our lives.
May God give us conviction of heart to follow Jesus!
With much blessing,