Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
Pouring out Heartache to the Lord
How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for he has been good to me.
This Psalm is among those called “Laments”. Lament means a complaint or expression of sorrow or grief.
All of us have times of grief and sorrow. Times when the world seems to be crashing in. The “enemy” (v2) may be pain, sickness or death, it may be poor finances, difficult relationships, or negative situations. We feel like God has forgotten us and we do not sense his presence. There comes a time when we cry “How long?” as the time extends and hope seems so distant. This is a Psalm for such times.
There are three things to note here:
- It is right that we should express our feelings and emotions to God. He is not going to be hurt by them and values a heart-to-heart relationship with us. He knows how you feel before you express it, so be open and honest to him.
- It is good to express total dependency on God “Look on me and answer … Give light to my eyes or I will …”. Our dependency is on him who has made us and loved us, not on ourselves or on others.
- It is enlightening to focus on what God has done for you and what he has promised ultimately to do. This is not a blind faith, but a faith based on the evidence of the past – faith in God’s unfailing love. The result is a heart which rejoices in God’s salvation and gives him praise. The situation has not immediately changed, but the focus of the writer has.
May God enable us to focus on him in our difficulties and put a song of praise in our hearts for his goodness.
With much blessing,
- Funtastic Church – It is Funtastic Church this Sunday afternoon. Do invite families with children to a Funtastic time together from 1.45.
- Hope Lunch – It is Hope Community Lunch this Sunday at 1pm. Please let Sue know if you are planning to join us, or bringing others (firstname.lastname@example.org or 07415 429318).
- Children of Eden Musical – This Musical is being performed this weekend at Holy Trinity, Dawley (Fri) and All Saints, Wellington (Sat) at 7.30pm. Tickets are £10/£7. See here for details.
– Monday 3rd – Prayer evening 7.30pm in St Christopher’s room
- Let’s remember to pray for one another using our prayer diaries.