Dear Hope family,
Thought for the Week
Be Self-controlled and alert
1 Peter 5v8 “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
To be self-controlled is to be able to keep yourself from doing what you feel like, because you consider there is a greater good. To be alert is to be aware of what is going on.
Peter uses the graphic image of the devil being a lion with the intent of destroying people for his own good. His oldest trick is to use our senses and the desires of our hearts (Genesis 3v6 “When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye and desirable for gaining wisdom …”) he is still doing it now.
We therefore need to be alert to the devil’s schemes and ready to stand firm against him “Resist him, standing firm in the faith”(v9). In what areas are you most susceptible to temptation? The good news is that God is a God of grace (v10) and in his grace, he provides you with a way out (1 Corinthians 10v13). This again requires an alertness to God’s way. Is there a temptation that you are struggling with? Ask God to help you see the way out that he has promised you.
With love and blessing,
- Prayer Requests – If you have requests for prayer which you would like the church to pray for, please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org who can then put them on the Whatsapp group.
- Re-gathering – The government is permitting church gatherings for worship from the 4th July and issued a set of guidelines for such activities this week. Things will be different, and it is vital we discuss this together. As leaders, we have developed some draft proposals which we would like to discuss as a church family on Zoom on Monday 6th evening. We will send out these proposals over the next couple of days so that you have the opportunity to reflect prior to the meeting. There will be opportunity for corporate prayer, worship, and spiritual gifts from 7.30pm and we will begin our practical discussion at 8pm.
Programme – Please contact email@example.com if you would like the Zoom login details to join any of our online groups. Sunday morning worship is live-streamed at 10.30am on: YouTube – in the Hope Community Church Admaston Songs channel and Facebook – on the Hope Community Church Admaston Page.
Fri 03-Jul 1.30pm Alpha BBQ
Sat 04-Jul 10.30-11.30am Crochet, Craft and Chat with Lisa on Zoom
Sun 05-Jul 10am Hope Kids on Zoom with Sue and Helen; 10.30am Hope Worship on YouTube and Facebook; 11.00am Hope Family time on Zoom; 7pm Roland & Sue’s Disciple Group on Zoom
Mon 06-Jul 7.30pm Hope Community Prayer – on Zoom; 8pm Hope Family Meeting re Sunday morning Re-gathering
Tue 07-Jul 9.45am Hope Assemblies on YouTube; 11-12 St Cs Pushchair People via Zoom; 7.30pm St Cs Men’s Group on Zoom
Wed 08-Jul 8am Hope Community Prayer – on Zoom
Thu 09-Jul 9.45am Hope Assemblies on YouTube; 7.30pm St Cs Ladies’ Group – on Zoom
Fri 10-Jul 2.30pm Alpha on Zoom (20’s)
- For those who are listening into our Sunday morning worship who would not normally be with us.
- For our church community at the time.
- New guidelines on meetings – pray for wisdom from God in how we proceed as a church family.
- Pray for the 20’s Alpha courses currently running.
- Admaston Fun Week – pray for Sharon Johnson and the team preparing for this special on-line Fun Week! Pray for great connections with the young families.
- Let’s pray for peace and love to reign in the UK and globally at this time of rising tensions at various levels.
Other general information
Pastoral Care – If you are in isolation and need support (eg shopping), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will arrange with the team of helpers.