“So he did as the Lord had told him.” 1 Kings 17v5 (NIV).
On Sunday, we heard extraordinary testimony of God’s answer to prayer and God’s miraculous provision. This happens both in the 21st century and in the 9th century BC. Our God’s character and his desire to relate with and provide for his children does not change. For Elijah in 1 Kings 17, it meant a significant setting out in faith on more than one occasion, with no human assurance of provision. But God had spoken. This may raise the question – how do I know it is God speaking rather than my own imagination? I suggest the following:
- “My sheep know my voice” – For those in a steady relationship with Jesus, they know – keep close to Him!
- “All Scripture is inspired by God” 2 Timothy 3v16 – God does not change and He does not contradict what he has said, so he is not now going to say something that conflicts with the Bible – know his Word!
- “Seek first the kingdom and the other things will be added to you” Matthew 6v33 – Align your heart and desires with God’s kingdom and you are going to be on the right track.
- “We have the word of the prophets” 2 Peter 1v19 – While Peter was referring to the Old Testament, it also applies to prophetic counsel from other believers – especially if they speak a Spirit-word into a situation they know nothing about!
- “It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us” Acts 15v28 – There seems to have been a mixture of godly logic defining what is reasonable to do based on the circumstances and the peace of the Holy Spirit to give assurance – be sensible with maybe a step at a time.
- “You are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” Ephesians 2v10 – Be assured, God has a plan – it is for people to come to know Him and to conform to the likeness of His Son. The part we play in that great and glorious plan is generally only revealed to us a step at a time, and sometimes we are almost unaware of the impact we are having in that plan!
I know God has chosen us for His purpose – and it is to be fruitful for Him in this life. May you and I be listening to His voice and have the faith to follow him closely.
With love and blessing,
- It was wonderful to have a number of testimonies this last Sunday morning. We’re looking forward to this Sunday. What is the Lord doing in your life? Even if it is not shared with everyone, why not come to share it with someone else over tea/coffee?
- Are you interested in your children catching your faith? This theme is being explored in dramatic and dynamic style by Riding Lights Theatre company on Friday 2nd February at Holy Trinity Academy. Begins 7.30pm. Tickets £10 from https://www.new-wine.org/adventurebegins .
- Building a Lasting Marriage – by Care for the Family at Park Inn, Telford on Tuesday 20th March 7pm – 10pm, Tickets £4. https://www.careforthefamily.org.uk/event/it-takes-two-telford
- Admaston Fun Week (Mission) is now in preparation. The dates are 24th-30th